Game of Thrones comes to Croatia for location filming on second season
Game of Thrones, HBO’s hit fantasy drama, will film partly in Croatia for its second season. The first series was based in Northern Ireland and also filmed in Morocco and Malta. For season two it’s keeping Northern Ireland as its production base, but Croatia will be replacing Malta.
Hrvoje Hribar is Chief Executive of The Croatian Audiovisual Centre: “It’s great to see HBO people working on Croatian locations together with Croatian professionals. From the very beginning our idea was to attract quality projects to our country - in addition to its high budget and popularity, Game of Thrones is an accomplished work of television craft.”
From the very beginning our idea was to attract quality projects to our country - in addition to its high budget and popularity, Game of Thrones is an accomplished work of television craft.
Hrvoje Hribar, Croatian Audiovisual Centre
Filming in Croatia will be serviced by Embassy Films. The shoot will focus on historic parts of Dubrovnik and the island of Lokrum for just over three weeks between 18th September and 13th October. The Minčeta, Bokar and Lovrijenac fortresses will be used, along with the Old Town entrance gates. The city’s Dubac quarry and graveyard will be used for set-building. The island of Lokrum is renowned for its rural Mediterranean vegetation.
Croatia doesn't yet have a filming incentive scheme, although there are plans in place to launch a 20% tax rebate on 1st January 2012. The rebate will be available for features, TV dramas, documentaries and animation.
- Game of Thrones filming new season on location in Dalmatia region of Croatia
- Game of Thrones to focus on Spain filming rather than Croatia for new season
- BBC’s international crime series, McMafia, wraps filming after shoots in Croatia and London
- Game of Thrones to film scenes on location in Morocco for third season
- Game of Thrones films on location in Spain and Croatia
- Croatia prepares 20% filming tax rebate for December 2011 launch
- HBO’s Game of Thrones returning to Northern Ireland for season two location filming
- The future of Croatian film incentives in doubt as Head of HAVC resigns
Not Logged in
You must be logged in to post a comment
There are 3 comments