BBC miniseries The White Queen starts filming on location in Bruges
The BBC’s epic historical miniseries The White Queen has begun filming in the Belgian city of Bruges. Based on a series of novels by Philippa Gregory, the production is set in 15th Century England during the Wars of the Roses.
Ireland was a serious contender for the shoot as a double for England, but the BBC was attracted by Belgium’s specific combination of locations and financial support. They had also had a positive experience filming scenes there for recent miniseries Parade’s End. The White Queen has a budget of EUR22 million and has strong local support.
Katrien Maes is with Location Flanders: “Most of the required locations could be found within Bruges and its surroundings, and therefore Bruges was chosen as the main production centre for the 125-day shoot."
Most of the required locations could be found within Bruges and its surroundings, and therefore Bruges was chosen as the main production centre for the 125-day shoot.
Katrien Maes, Location Flanders
Maes adds: “Meanwhile, the UK producers found a local co-producer, CZAR Television, and were able to put the last pieces of their financing together thanks to the Belgian Tax Shelter system. VAF/Media Fund support has also been applied for.”
The location filming landscape could shift dramatically in 2013 if the British Government launches a TV filming tax credit, as is widely expected. A recent report found that the UK makes GBP12 back from every pound that it spends on its film tax credit.
- Company Pictures films historical miniseries The White Queen in Belgium for BBC
- Epic BBC drama The White Queen commits to Bruges location shoot
- BBC starts filming War And Peace on location in northern Europe and Russia
- BBC to film on location in Manchester for miniseries From There To Here
- Miniseries Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell starts filming in York Minster
- BBC Worldwide to boost UK filming spend by 10% for next 12 months
- BBC starts filming new series of Doctor Who on location in Cardiff
- BBC’s The Replacement starts filming on location in Glasgow
Not Logged in
You must be logged in to post a comment
There are no comments