Russell Crowe drama Fathers and Daughters secures Pittsburgh filming incentive
Russell Crowe’s new feature, family drama Fathers and Daughters, has secured a filming incentive payment to shoot in Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania. The film will jump between the 1980s and the present day to tell the story of a troubled author and his strained relationship with his daughter.
“We're thrilled to welcome Russell Crowe back to Pittsburgh and putting our local crew and vendors back to work,” Dawn Keezer, director of the Pittsburgh Film Office, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: “The film tax credit programme is essential to seeing this great economic impact into our region and the continued growth of the south-western Pennsylvania film industry.”
A series of high-profile features have shot in Pittsburgh in recent years, including Crowe's own murder thriller The Next Three Days (above). Others include Tom Cruise’s vigilante drama Jack Reacher and The Dark Knight Rises, which doubled the area for Gotham City.
Philadelphia in eastern Pennsylvania is home to filmmaker M Night Shyamalan, who sets most of his films in the city and used it as a base of operations for his sci-fi movie After Earth.
We're thrilled to welcome Russell Crowe back to Pittsburgh and putting our local crew and vendors back to work.
Dawn Keezer, Director of the Pittsburgh Film Office
Pennsylvania is a popular filming location in the US, partly because of its competitive 25% tax credit. The programme’s main limitation is its USD60 million annual cap, which remained in place last year despite lobbying from the Pittsburgh Film Office to have it removed.
New York is Pennsylvania’s biggest regional competitor, with a filming incentive programme that offers USD420 million a year. This has helped establish New York as one of the top production hubs in the US and the state has attracted many TV shows that cannot get incentive support in California.
- Crime drama Banshee starts filming new season in Pittsburgh
- Crime drama Banshee leaves North Carolina for Pennsylvania filming incentives
- The Dark Knight Rises fails to qualify for Pittsburgh location filming incentives
- Pennsylvania renews call for uncapped filming incentive as Will Smith movie nears
- Pittsburgh-set Hatfields & McCoys TV pilot chases filming incentives elsewhere
- Jake Gyllenhaal to film boxing drama Southpaw on location in Pennsylvania
- New Kentucky-set drama series Outsiders uses Pennsylvania filming incentives
- Pittsburgh urged to develop more film studios and commit to long-term incentive
Not Logged in
You must be logged in to post a comment
There are no comments