BBC filming new series of police drama Happy Valley in Yorkshire
The BBC is filming a second of popular police drama Happy Valley on location in Yorkshire in northern England. Set in the Calder Valley, the series follows police officers faced with a possible serial killer.
“I am thrilled to be embarking on a second series,” said writer and executive producer Sally Wainwright: “We were delighted and overwhelmed with the viewers’ response to series one and it’s clear that there’s a huge appetite to see more of the characters and drama among the TV-viewing public.”
Added Nicola Shindler, founder of RED Production Company and an executive producer on the drama: “Sally created a truly magnificent series with very real, complex characters, an engaging plot and breathtaking storylines. I am delighted and excited to be delving deeper into Catherine’s (the protagonist) world in series two.”
Yorkshire is a very popular UK filming location, partly because of the Yorkshire Content Fund, which is the largest regional fund in Britain. Recent BBC productions shot in the area have included the fantasy miniseries Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, and the smuggling drama Jamaica Inn.
Broadcaster ITV is currently filming the true-life period thriller Dark Angel in North Yorkshire and County Durham.
Screen Yorkshire has responded to the region’s growing popularity by announcing the creation of Yorkshire Studios, which is set to adapt the hangars of a former RAF base.
“The opening of Yorkshire Studios is a significant landmark for the UK film and TV industry,” said Sally Joynson, chief executive of Screen Yorkshire, when the development was first announced in June.
- BBC filming in Yorkshire for Michael Palin drama and comedy Still Open All Hours
- Epic BBC drama Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell films in Yorkshire
- Train Robbery TV drama to give West Yorkshire a location filming boost
- Origin Pictures films period drama Jamaica Inn on location in Yorkshire for BBC
- BBC drama To Walk Invisible will shoot on location in Yorkshire
- BBC filming First World War memoir Testament Of Youth in Yorkshire and Oxford
- BBC period drama The Moonstone now filming in Yorkshire
- High-end ITV drama Victoria to begin filming this month in Yorkshire
Not Logged in
You must be logged in to post a comment
There are no comments