BBC period drama The Moonstone now filming in Yorkshire
The BBC’s new period drama The Moonstone, starring John Thomson (Cold Feet) and Sarah Hadland (Miranda) has begun filming in North Yorkshire. The production will be conducting on location shoots at Thornton Watlass Hall, a Grade I listed Georgian country house that will serve the show’s 19th century period setting.
The Moonstone is based on Wilkie Collins’ novel of the same name, which is itself one of the first examples of detective fiction in English literature, wherein a priceless Indian diamond is stolen from a young woman after inheriting it on her eighteenth birthday.
John Thomson says: “The Moonstone is a classic novel, and this has all the makings of classic TV. I’ve worked on a wonderful variety of projects over the years, but I've secretly always wanted to be part of a big BBC One costume drama. The Moonstone is exactly that and I’m incredibly excited to be in it.”
The series is part of the BBC’s Love to Read campaign, which seeks to honour the history of English literature and inspire a new generation of readers with adaptations of classic stories.
Dan McGolpin, Controller of BBC Daytime and Early-Peak adds: “The Moonstone spawned a new genre: the detective novel. Its influence endures to the present day, in books and on television. With the help of BBC Learning we are offering BBC One viewers the chance to see this gripping story play out across five afternoons. I’m thrilled that the production has attracted such a strong cast, a mix of well-known and up and coming actors, all incredibly talented. Our viewers are in for a treat.”
Yorkshire is one of the UK’s most popular filming locations outside of London. Alongside the national 25% tax rebate, productions that shoot in the northern region can gain access to the Yorkshire Content Fund. The YCF can invest up to GBP500,000 per-project.
- Origin Pictures films period drama Jamaica Inn on location in Yorkshire for BBC
- BBC filming new series of police drama Happy Valley in Yorkshire
- BBC filming in Yorkshire for Michael Palin drama and comedy Still Open All Hours
- Epic BBC drama Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell films in Yorkshire
- Period gangster drama Peaky Blinders films on location in Yorkshire
- BBC films new drama The Thirteenth Tale in east Yorkshire stately home
- BBC drama To Walk Invisible will shoot on location in Yorkshire
- BBC drama Gunpowder starring Kit Harington now filming in Yorkshire
Not Logged in
You must be logged in to post a comment
There are no comments