Filming now underway in New York for Netflix’s The Punisher, The Defenders soon to follow
Filming has now begun on Netflix’s The Punisher in what will be the fifth collaboration between the streaming service and Marvel Television. The production is currently filming on location in Brooklyn but is expected to travel to other boroughs of New York City just as the previous Marvel series have done before.
John Bernthal’s portrayal of The Punisher first appeared in season two of Daredevil, bringing his iconic ultra-violent style to the series before having his own programme commissioned in April 2016.
Characters from Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and the upcoming series Iron Fist will all feature in The Defenders, akin to how Marvel Studios’ cinematic characters have previously come together in the Avengers franchise.
News emerged over the weekend that Sigourney Weaver is attached to the project as the series’ main antagonist. Executive Vice President of Marvel Television, Jeph Loeb explained: “Marvel is honoured to have an actress of her calibre and status join what is already our biggest show ever! She is by definition a class act.”
Netflix has had a continued presence in New York City with other shows including Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, but work on the first seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones alone were able to bring 3,000 jobs to the city.
The popularity of New York State as a filming location can be accredited to its lucrative 30% tax credit incentive. Taken from a total fund of USD420 million, productions can also receive an extra 5% in tax credits if they use local post-production facilities.
- Daredevil and Jessica Jones have brought 3,000 jobs to New York
- Marvel to film new superhero TV dramas on location in New York
- Drunk Parents filming on location in New York
- Proposed legislation for New York film incentive to promote diversity
- Spike Lee’s Netflix series, She’s Gotta Have It, filmed in Brooklyn locations
- David Letterman’s Netflix series features an array of New York theatres
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles filming boosts New York with $55m spend
- New York reveals details of historic Spider-Man 2 location filming spend
Global Filming Incentive - United States of America (see more…)
- North Miami Film Incentive
- Miami-Dade County Production Incentive Programme
- Kansas City Rebate Incentive
- Virginia Motion Picture Tax Credit
- Wyoming: Film Industry Financial Incentive (FIFI) Program
- West Virginia Film Industry Investment Act
- Washington DC: Rebates
- The Washington Motion Picture Competitiveness Programme
Not Logged in
You must be logged in to post a comment
There are no comments