The German city of Görlitz wins EUFCN’s Location of the Decade award
The city of Görlitz in eastern Germany has been declared the Best European Film Location of the Decade at the 10th anniversary event for the European Film Commissions Network (EUFCN) in Berlin. Görlitz was highlighted for its use in Wes Anderson’s period-comedy, The Grand Budapest Hotel.
Görlitz was one of 11 finalists for the award, including Wrocław (Bridge of Spies) in Poland, and Dubrovnik (Game of Thrones) in Croatia. Wes Anderson spent a total of 40 days shooting on location in Görlitz in early 2013.
President of EUFCN, Truls Kontny explains: “locations represent the soul of each Film Commission. When we discussed for the first time the Film Location Award we could not imagine such a participation and success. It is a real and unexpected surprise to discover that locations of films and TV series are so important in the collective consciousness."
Claas Danielsen, Managing Director of Mitteldeutsche Medienförderung GmbH adds: “congratulations to Görlitz on this wonderful feat that you and the region have accomplished together. Boasting an unparalleled wealth of shooting locations, ‘Görliwood’ has made a name for itself with producers and audiences all over the world and will continue to attract international film crews to the town on the Neisse River."
The EUFCN will be celebrating its 10th anniversary with a drinks reception at this year’s FOCUS event. The organisation represents 90 film commissions from 30 countries around the world.
FOCUS 2017 will take place at London’s Business Design Centre, December 5th and 6th. To register your attendance for the event, click here.
- Shortlist now available for EUFCN’s European Film Location Award
- TLG talks to Arie Bohrer, Commissioner of Location Austria and EUFCN President
- Swedish film Underdog wins Scandinavian Locations Award in Goteborg
- Young Directors Award announces winners at Cannes Lions
- LMGA Award-winner Klaus Darrelmann on location filming in Germany
- Dan Mace wins big at the Young Director Award 2016
- Emma Thompson filming war drama Alone in Berlin on location in Germany
- Academy Award winning Airscreens Inflatables are headed to FOCUS 2016
Directory - Görlitz (see more…)
Not Logged in
You must be logged in to post a comment
There are no comments