ITV’s Vanity Fair adaptation filmed in London and Budapest
ITV’s upcoming adaptation of William Makepeace Thackery’s classic novel, Vanity Fair, began filming in September last year and is due to air this Autumn. The seven-part series filmed on location across London, including Marble Hill House and Fitzroy Square, and in Hungary's Budapest.
Vanity Fair is produced by Mammoth Screen (Poldark), with Executive Producers including Gwyneth Hughes, James Strong and Tom Mullens.
Polly Hill, ITV’s Head of Drama details: “Vanity Fair felt like the perfect classic to adapt for ITV, and Gwyneth Hughes’ stunning scripts bring the novel to life in a way that will really connect with a modern audience. The question was always who would be our perfect Becky Sharp and that is undoubtedly Olivia Cooke! So we are thrilled that she agreed to play Becky, in what promises to be a very exciting new drama for ITV.”
Director Damien Timmer adds: “we’re so proud to be working with ITV and Amazon on this most glorious of stories – the combination of Olivia Cooke, Gwyneth Hughes and Thackeray will be an irresistible one, and we look forward to watching Becky Sharp conquer the 21st century!"
Due to a mix of modern and periodic locations, London is one of the most popular destinations worldwide for filming. The UK’s production industry is stimulated by a dedicated financial incentive in the form of a 25% tax rebate available for producers of feature films and high-end television shows.
With the recent announcement of its own financial incentive, Romania’s rapport with international producers is expected to skyrocket in the near future.
Vanity Fair marks another example of a recent trend for UK-based television shows to incorporate European locations. The Miniaturist recently travelled to the Netherlands in search of 17th century locales.
- ITV’s Prime Suspect 1973 filmed in an abandoned London mortuary
- ITV’s dramatisation of the Hatton Garden burglary to shoot in Central London
- ITV drama The Level to film in London and Brighton
- ITV’s Beowulf filmed on location in Northumberland and County Durham
- ITV’s Deep Water drama to film in North West England
- ITV series, The Widow, to film globally in late 2018
- ITV to close London studios after 40+ years of operation
- Eight part drama series The Halcyon commissioned by ITV
Not Logged in
You must be logged in to post a comment
There are no comments