December 2011 will see the launch of a 20% filming tax rebate in Croatia if the Croatian Audiovisual Centre has its way. If the launch goes ahead as planned, competition in Eastern Europe will reach new levels, with Croatia already establishing itself as a cheaper double for countries like Italy.
The Croatian Tax Rebate for Film and Television will focus on attracting feature films, documentaries and television dramas, with a EUR3 million cap per qualifying production. Foreign producers will need to work with a Croatian co-producer and satisfy a cultural test to be eligible for support.
In the past year Croatia has hosted commercial shoots for products including Lynx deodorant and Swiss home furnishings supplier Pfister.
The Croatian Audiovisual Centre said: “The benefit is based on the cost of Croatian cast and crew working in Croatia, as well as goods and services purchased in Croatia up to a maximum value of 80% of the overall budget spent in Croatia.”
- Pfister doubles Croatia for southern Italy
- Game of Thrones comes to Croatia for location filming on second season
- Angelic supermodels draw the eye filming on location in Croatia
- Malaysia prepares to launch 30% location filming incentive in 2012
- Young Director Award prepares to launch 2013 competition
- Mauritius to officially launch location filming incentive at Berlin Film Festival