Locations in Portugal and Mallorca were all considered for their ease of access from London, but the team was eventually swayed by Zaragoza’s sandstone features that make a striking appearance in the final cut.
Shooting in what was essentially the middle of nowhere and 60 minutes’ drive from the town we were staying in, the closest place for production support was Madrid nearly four hours away.
Mikey Levelle, Executive Producer
Mikey Levelle was Executive Producer on the shoot for Shameless @ Park Village: “The director’s treatment demanded a dry and desolate landscape, one that could depict a never-ending journey and the importance and value of companionship.
“The biggest challenges I faced on location were lack of local resources. Shooting in what was essentially the middle of nowhere and 60 minutes’ drive from the town we were staying in, the closest place for production support was Madrid nearly four hours away.”
Filming stretched to two 14-hour shoot days working with Look Films, a production collective based in Madrid whose knowledge of the local area helped find the right locations. The small production team had to contend with the rough terrain as well as the desert heat. A portable generator was used for audio playback at the scene and to power the lighting.
Levelle concludes: “We very much embraced the natural landscape for this production and used only what was there. The scenography was enhanced by smoke flares and key prop placement, but no structural or lasting effects were made to the areas in which we filmed.”
Group: The Penelopes – Summer Life
Production Company: Shameless @ Park Village, London
Executive Producer: Mikey Levelle
Production Manager: Victor Martin León
Production Service Company: Look Films, Madrid
Assistant Producer: David Velduque Jiménez
Director of Photography: Daniel Takacs
Director: Mattias Erik Johansson
- Park Pictures recreates 1930s Europe for Audi on location in Slovenia
- Chivas quartet gets lost in the wilderness on location in Chile’s Atacama Desert
- RSA Films shoots Damian Lewis Jaguar short on location in Chile’s Atacama Desert
- Will Smith’s After Earth films on location in California’s Humboldt Redwoods State Park
- The Lift deals with the heat of summer on location in an Italian fishing village
- Park Pictures takes Range Rover on location to Milan and Lake Como