The BBC’s family sci-fi hit Doctor Who is doubling the streets of Bristol for Victorian London. Bristol lies near the west coast of England and just across the Bristol Channel from Cardiff, where Doctor Who is based.
Guy Poultney is with Bristol City Council and spoke to This is Bristol: “It’s not so much about one-off events, but the branding of the city. It’s about us being a vibrant city and that’s invaluable. It’s always great to see filming in Bristol and it’s great that it’s a national treasure like Doctor Who.”
Although Doctor Who is based in Cardiff the show has filmed overseas more regularly since becoming an international success. Filming on the upcoming series used one of the renowned Western film sets in Spain’s Almeria region, as well as taking in some iconic sights in New York City.
(Main page image: BBC)
- Doctor Who films on location in New York City
- Doctor Who to film on location in US for first time
- BBC films TV drama Frankie at Bristol’s Bottle Yard production facility
- Doctor Who films Western-themed episode on location in Almeria region of Spain
- Bristol launches new film studio
- New BBC drama Atlantis sets up studio space near Chepstow in Wales