A Bollywood production is filming on location in Kashmir. Kashmir is a disputed territory in central Asia that’s been partitioned between India and Pakistan for more than 60 years. The region has been affected by an Islamist-led insurgency since the late 1980s.
Well-known Indian producer Yash Chopra is filming in the area with Shahrukh Khan, Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma. Chopra is known mainly for romantic features and media outlet Voice of America reports that locals are hoping the romantic theme will help cast Kashmir in a rosier light.
Rauf Tramboo is Head of the Travel Agents Association of Kashmir and spoke to the outlet: “During the period of turmoil, some movies were made about the militancy and all that, which we did not like at all. We are happy that Yash Chopra is back to Kashmir again and we hope he will keep his tradition alive by shooting only romantic movies.”
More work will likely be needed to attract major productions to Kashmir on a regular basis. The insurgency has claimed some 60,000 lives over the past two decades and there’s still a strong military presence throughout the region.
(Images: Nick Kent-Basham)
- Jammu and Kashmir Government promotes regional Indian location filming
- Steven Spielberg planning Kashmir film project through DreamWorks Studios
- Bollywood movie films on location in Oman with star Harman Baweja
- Slovenia hosts inaugural Bollywood location filming project
- Oman invites Bollywood filmmakers on location scouting trip
- Dublin stars in location shoot for big-budget Bollywood film with Salman Khan