New spy thriller Jack Ryan will film scenes in Liverpool in the coming weeks. The production will be filming nights in the central-England city in mid-September 2012, adding to production revenue of around GBP20 million that Liverpool’s collected over the past 12 months.
Liverpool filming activity saw a 40% leap in the first quarter of 2012 compared to the same period last year, the Liverpool Echo reports. The Liverpool Film Office cites the Olympics as one reason for heightened production activity in recent months.
With London hosting the Olympics this summer we’ve had lots of inquiries from productions who see us as an alternative location.
Lyn Saunders, Liverpool Film Office
Lyn Saunders is Manager of the film office: “With London hosting the Olympics this summer we’ve had lots of inquiries from productions who see us as an alternative location.”
Jack Ryan marks an attempt to reboot the CIA thriller series that was last seen with The Sum of All Fears way back in 2002. As is the trend with modern spy films an international shoot is anticipated.
- Spy thriller Jack Ryan doubles Liverpool for Moscow and New York
- TV production rise helps Liverpool filming levels increase nearly 25%
- Northumberland in England holds forum to promote local filming locations
- Derek Jacobi likely to return to northern England for Last Tango in Halifax
- Marvel’s Captain America doubles Manchester and Liverpool for New York City
- New James Bond thriller Skyfall could boost film tourism in Britain