Chris Baugh, a veteran Location Manager, has been recognised for his work on Ben Affleck’s Argo at the California on Location Awards (COLAs). Baugh won in the Studio Feature Film category for his work doubling various California locations for Iran.
The COLAs have been held annually for nearly two decades and recognise the work of location professionals in Hollywood’s spiritual home. It is organised by Film Liaisons in California, Statewide (FLICS), and the breadth of awards categories acknowledges teams, individuals and different types of productions from features through to episodic TV and commercials.
Baugh discussed the challenges of the Argo shoot with TLG: “There were many layers of difficulty in scouting the locations for Argo. First of all, it was a 1979 period piece shooting in present-day Los Angeles with scenes set in Tehran, Washington DC and, of course, Hollywood.
“As Ben Affleck is a stickler for accurate details our most productive scouting came more from strategic detective work than boots on the ground.”
Here’s a selected list of winners:
Location Professional of the Year (Commercials)
Scott Allen Logan – Gymkhana 5 for DC Shoes
Location Professional of the Year (TV Episodic)
Gregory Alpert – Luck
Location Professional of the Year (Independent Feature)
Caleb Duffy – Hitchcock
Location Professional of the Year (Studio Feature)
Chris Baugh – Argo
Location Team of the Year (TV Episodic)
Location Team of the Year (Independent Feature)
Knight of Cups
Location Team of the Year (Studio Feature)
Star Trek Into Darkness
- Ben Affleck’s Argo recreates Iran filming on location in California
- Jim Beam, Moneyball and House MD among winners at California On-Location Awards
- California On-Location Awards set to honour location filming professionals
- New report suggests New York is the big filming incentive jobs winner
- California guarantees location filming incentives through to 2017
- California seizes on good-news filming report after New York steals pilot season