Pre-production forum

Welcome to our pre-production forum where productions come to life!
Thousands of producers, location and production professionals worldwide use our free pre-production forum service to post location briefs and production requests of all descriptions.
Please feel free to post up your location and production needs and receive answers and advice from our global filmmaking community.

Please abide by the forum rules

Forums Shoot/Work Permits Canada

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rodica Popa 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

  • Rodica Popa

    We are shooting in Vancouver and wanted to know the rules regarding permits for photoshoots.

    How do we go about applying for photography permits? We will only be shooting inside a home, so not on public property.

    Can anyone advise what we should do?

    Hello, film permits in Vancouver typically take up to 5 to 10 business days. For a home location you could likely do it in less time. Typically we would do a location contract with the home owner. If you do not require street parking at the home then you would likely not need a film permit. However – I would suggest contacting the BC film Commission here is their site - you can email them at –
    or their phone contact number is + 1 604 660 2732
    OR contact our Location Manager Dave Pink at, you can let him know I suggested you contact him, Karen Silver Treehouse North . My email is if you need any further assistance. Note Vancouver is 8 hours behind London time wise.

    Hi Georgia,

    Please feel free to email me personally

    I don’t mind a quick email exchange if you need assistance. As a rule if you have your work permits to shoot in Canada and you are still shooting on private property you don’t necessarily need a permit. However, its polite to let the BC Film Commission and Vancouver Film Office know your operations.

    Best, Syn

    Oh and btw Dave Pink (as recommended by Karen Silver at Treehouse North) is a great location manager so I’m sure he can help too :)

    Bob Rickerd

    you’ll need to apply for a LMO and possibly a waiver form for Canadian taxes.

    Send me an email and I can give you further information.

    Ted Herman

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

You must be logged in to create new topics.

The Location Guide - Forum rules

  • Use of the forum is free. You must however agree to abide by the following rules:
  • All messages express the views of the author, and not of The Location Guide;
  • The Location Guide team will try to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, but cannot be held responsible for the content of any message;
  • In using this forum, you promise not to post any messages that are abusive, hateful, obscene, sexually-oriented, defamatory, threatening, discriminatory, or otherwise violative of any laws;
  • The Location Guide team reserves the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread or post for any reason;
  • We may also remove messages that are not related to the topic of discussion, or are otherwise inappropriate;
  • Messages that directly sell or market your company's products or services will be removed;
  • Spamming is forbidden. This includes chain letters and advertisements;
  • Spamming or repeated posting of objectionable messages will result in termination of your access to this forum and the whole of The Location Guide's website.