Pre-production forum

Welcome to our pre-production forum where productions come to life!
Thousands of producers, location and production professionals worldwide use our free pre-production forum service to post location briefs and production requests of all descriptions.
Please feel free to post up your location and production needs and receive answers and advice from our global filmmaking community.

Please abide by the forum rules

TLG Home Forums Pre-Production Forum The payment of vat tax for location rental in Spain

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Adam Thal

Dear colleagues in Spain,

I would be grateful if you could give me some informations regarding the payment of vat tax for location rental in Spain to a non-Spanish company. Until now, I have never had to pay vat tax to the owners of locations since I, myself, have a non-Spanish company. Now I have a Spanish location owner that insists to have this paid. Is there anything official I can show to the owner as proof that this fiscality is not necessary?

I look forward to receiving your feedback. I would appreciate it.
    thank you

Massimo . +39 3355451264 . info@map-plus.it

Dear Massimo,

There is not any added charge and no fees for shooting in Basque Country.

Bilbao is a beautiful city and the county has a spectacular seashore

Best

Ernesto – Zinebi

Yes is possible…

Daniel Escrivá

Location & Production Service

Tel. (+34) 686 968 598

danielescriva@gmail.com

Beatrice

Dear Massimo.
    The owner is doing the right thing even if you´re a foreign producer. If he´s producing a legal invoice always he had to add the VAT (18% in Spain).
    I´ve had this issue often, and I´ve checked it at the tax office.
    I don´t know in the Basque Country because they have a different tax system from the rest of the country.
    Regards.
    Santi Navarro
    http://www.roadandroll.com

Hi there,

I have a production service company in Ibiza and have been faced with the same problem. Until recently my accountant also told me to charge IVA (VAT). However now there have been some changes in the European VAT rules. Because the service is a cross-border service (intra-Community supply of services), there should not be charged VAT on the invoice. This is based on the following European VAT rule: “VAT due by the contracting party – article 196 of Council Directive 2006/112/EC”.

I hope this is a help..

Kind regards

Lars
    http://www.Ibizapictures.biz

Dear Massimo,

My name is Peter and I am a service producer at Fresco Film Services in Spain. We come across this issue a lot, and it all comes down to a very simple fact:

If the owner of a location has a registered business (i.e. he is not a private person charging you), and he is NOT registered for inner European VAT trade, he will have to charge you VAT as any hotel, car rental company etc, as you would be a FINAL CONSUMER, like any other client to his business, no matter where you are from. If he has a European VAT registration, he should NOT charge you any VAT, since this is inner European business. All this though depends on WHAT his business is- if it is end consumer (as I said, like hotels or rental cars), he will have to charge you VAT.
    If the owner is a private person and does NOT have a registered business (ie not fiscal ID, starting with a letter and followed by a set of numbers, as to a set of numbers followed by a letter for private people !!) and tries to charge you VAT he is simply trying to rip you of, since his invoice will go nowhere, is not valid and he has earned an 18% more.
    Also, please do not pay any attention to my colleague from Barcelona who reckons that he will have to deduct a 19% on IRPF tax, since this only applies to SPANISH business customers !!!!

Hope this helps, for any further questions do not hesitate contacting me at peter@frescofilm.com

Cheers,

Peter

Peter Welter Soler
    Fresco Film Services
    peter@frescofilm.com
    http://www.frescofilm.com

Hi Massimo,

You shouldn´t be charged.
    Being Italian I hope you are able to understand the official law below about VAT in Spain. Show it to the owner so that (s)he can be calm on this thing. (Article 23)

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_datos/Fiscal/l37-1992.t2.html

VAT is the same for all Spain, including Basque Country, the exceptions are Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla.

Incentives in Basque Country are on revenues an other issues.

Buona fortuna!

Daniel Peña
    Basquelocations
    Zinealdea Film Studios

http://www.zinealdea.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘The payment of vat tax for location rental in Spain’ is closed to new replies.
  • You must be logged in to create new topics.

The Location Guide - Forum rules

• Use of the forum is free. You must however agree to abide by the following rules:
  • All messages express the views of the author, and not of The Location Guide;
  • The Location Guide team will try to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, but cannot be held responsible for the content of any message;
  • In using this forum, you promise not to post any messages that are abusive, hateful, obscene, sexually-oriented, defamatory, threatening, discriminatory, or otherwise violative of any laws;
  • The Location Guide team reserves the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread or post for any reason;
  • We may also remove messages that are not related to the topic of discussion, or are otherwise inappropriate;
  • Messages that directly sell or market your company's products or services will be removed;
  • Spamming is forbidden. This includes chain letters and advertisements;
  • Spamming or repeated posting of objectionable messages will result in termination of your access to this forum and the whole of The Location Guide's website.

[s]