Ross Plummer, MD Ridley Scott Creative Group
Filming in Kenya
For the latest coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions and regulations, please talk to your local production service company or the Kenya Film Commission.
Kenya is traditionally known for a wide range of locations – beach, bush, mountain, jungle and desert – many of which still remain unfamiliar to international audiences. And, because of Kenya’s tourist infrastructure, access and service is good and there is strong country wide internet and remote filming technology. Filming is supported within COVID government guidelines and there is no quarantine for foreign nationals.
Many don’t know that Kenya also serves as a production hub for servicing other East and West African countries, and with its diverse ethnic population, has often doubled for other African locations.
Downtown Nairobi is an exciting cityscapes to work in. Netflix's sci-fi Sense8 series 1 and 2 shot large scale crowd and action scenes in the capital city.
Ridley Scott Creative Group Amsterdam recently completed Kipchoge: The Last Milestone a feature length documentary directed by Jake Scott about the record breaking Kenyan Olympic champion.
Crew rates and overall production costs are competitive, so even though no formal Tax Incentive in place, Kenya can be attractive to both large and small scale productions.
Kenya’s coastline enjoys a tropical climate with high springtime humidity and the coastal town of Mombasa has mean annual temperatures of between 22C and 30C.
Monsoon winds moderate the humidity slightly during the spring. Conditions in the lowlands are dry and hot, while temperatures in the highlands fall again and have more distinct seasons.
Temperatures in Nairobi can fall to 13C due to its altitude. Rainfall occurs most regularly in the spring months and then in the early autumn as a result of the two monsoon seasons, although the northern regions tend to get less than elsewhere in the country.
Average daily daylight
Average daily sunlight
- Flave Media Group Limited - Mar 13, 2021
- Ginger Ink Films Africa - Mar 13, 2021
- Ivory Media Productions - Feb 10, 2021
- Willis Abuto - Jan 5, 2021
- White Rhino Films - Aug 23, 2020
- Rayzorcut - Sep 23, 2019
- Neolight Productions Ltd. - Jul 2, 2019
- ProKraft Africa - Feb 25, 2019
- AMITATIONS STUDIO - Aug 15, 2017
- Media HQ - Aug 2, 2016
- Famous World Monuments and buildings - Aug 12, 2016
- Fixers in Benin, Tanzania, Malawi, Kenya, Uganda, Swaziland, Republic - Jul 26, 2016
- Need help establishing shooting Costs in Multiple African Countries. - Jul 7, 2016
- Fixer Required - Kenya 11th - 14th June 2016 - May 27, 2016
- Kenya Location Producer - Apr 19, 2016