Cannes Lions 2017: AdGreen production forum tackles sustainability in advertising
AdGreen, the independent organisation determined to improve sustainability in advertising, took to the Vegaluna beach today for a panel discussion regarding the current environmental impact of the commercial productions.
Hosted by the initiative's founder, Jo Coombes, the panel consisted of Mike Day (Palma Pictures), Steffen Gentis (BBDO Group Germany) and Rodrigo Gameiro (Coca-Cola Brazil), allowing the conversation to include all aspects of the production process.
While recognising the initial difficulty in following environmentally friendly measures, Mike Day explained how Palma Pictures’ own sustainability methods only caused a temporary increase in expenditure before saving them money in the long run.
Steffan Gentis noted the practicality of preparation, detailing: “if you measure your environmental impact before a production, you have a better chance of ensuring sustainability.”
Rodrigo Gameiro added the need for clients to understand the importance of selling a brand, not just a product, and the positive public opinion that can come from being associated with environmentally friendly practices.
When asked what it meant for AdGreen to have a presence at Cannes Lions, Jo Coombes explained: “being here is really great because it means we can talk to people from different countries and also get perspectives from other people. We’ve seen a fantastic turnout for the forum today, which is great to see how many people are interested outside of just production companies. If the interest continues then we’d love to come back next year."
As larger production companies begin to change their working habits, the conversation regarding our impact on the environment continues to grow. The BBC made the decision in late 2016 to ensure that all their future drama productions adhere to the sustainability standards laid out by the Albert initiative.
- Cannes Lions 2017: Transparency in advertising dominates debate at the 12th annual World Producers Summit
- All future BBC television programmes will adhere to Albert sustainability regulations
- Towards a green film future: Sustainability and the global production industry
- Cannes Lions Soiree Partner 2015: Advertising Producers Association
- Cannes Lions Soiree Partner 2014: Advertising Producers Association
- Family Film joins The Location Beach Lounge at Cannes Lions 2017
- Mother & Dragons strike new partnership for The Location Beach Lounge at Cannes Lions 2017
- The Advertising Producers Association returns for the 2017 Cannes Soirée
Not Logged in
You must be logged in to post a comment
There are no comments